Writing Code to Test Code?


All of this, of course, flies in the face of the Agile Manifesto, wherein quality (and thus performance) is built in from the beginning by repeatable tests that are run automatically whenever changes are made. If I am writing code already it doesn’t make sense for me to be writing even more code to test the performance of the code I’m writing – that becomes maddeningly recursive once your load tests themselves need tweaking!

No, it’s hard enough to write unit tests that have to be maintained along with the code they are testing. Instead, performance testing needs to be a by-product of something else we developers do every day, day in and day out, and that is manual functional testing. If I am writing an order entry system like in the earlier example, I will be entering dozens or even hundreds of orders just to check my work. So why not “repurpose” some number of those as performance tests?

No comments:

Post a Comment